DBT Assumption About You
- You are doing the best you can.
- You want to develop an authentic quality of life.
- You need to do better, tryharder, and be more willing and motivated to consider
healthy choices … and committed to taking action.
- You may not have caused all of your problems, but you need to take responsibility to resolve them anyway.
- You need to develop healthy behaviors and explore choices in all relevant
experiences of your life.
- You cannot fail in therapyif you are willing and committed to learning and practicing healthy lifeskills daily.
DBT Assumptions About Therapy
- The most caring thing I can do is to challenge you to be open to choices that bring you closer to your own ultimate goals and life purpose.
- Clarity, precision, and compassion are of the utmost importance.
- Our therapeutic relationship is a real relationship between equals.
- Principles of behavior are universal effecting me no less than you.
- It is not my intent, but I amhuman and I can fail.
- The therapeutic process can fail even when I cannot.